Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Slow Blogging


BLOGGING


A term used to describe anyone with enough time or narcissism to document every tedious bit of minutia filling their uneventful lives. Blogging - as defined by Urban Dictionary

While I like reading others blogs, is everyone having access to write the first thing that comes into their heads that great an idea?

David D. Perlmutter, author of Blogwars, has called for a movement called "slow blogging". His manifesto can be read here

The practice is inspired by the slow food movement, which says that fast food is destroying local traditions and healthy eating habits.

David Perlmutter writes “Slow Blogging is a rejection of immediacy. It is an affirmation that not all things worth reading are written quickly.”





I actually like his tips which include;
  • LIMIT YOUR AUDIENCE
  • THINK, STUDY, THEN POST
  • and POST BY THEME, NOT BY JOURNAL

All of them can be found here

Slow Blogging is about letting thoughts marinate (some we as strategists like to do with ideas away). Really what he is saying is think before you post

I also thought this trend (if we can call it that) was interesting in light of the buzz surrounding Twitter, mainly in the US. Which some seem to think is the best & biggest thing since say Youtube.


I think the Blogging defination at the start of this post better describes Twitter - it is all about 'the instant' - what is happening right now.


May be because I am older than 20 that I quite like the idea of being considered about what is shared with & by others and don't feel the need to up date everyone, on what I am doing, at every minute of the day.


Not that I am a technophobic, I just use those technologies that seem to add value to my life with changing it drastically.


From a media perceptive it is like we say 'it's is not so much about the channel or delivery device but the consumer'.

p.s. After writing this I hope I have pondered on it long enough before posting it and have not raised the bar to high for future posts

No comments: